If you follow me on Instagram, you may have gotten a little sneak at this already. Over the weekend, I went home to Louisville to reupholster a cane chair with my Poppy that I found at Peddler's Mall a couple of weeks ago. Today, I thought I'd share all the details with y'all.
This post contains some affiliate links for your shopping convenience. I may earn a small commission through these affiliate links at no extra cost to you.
1. First things first, I removed the cushion. I was able to remove mine simply by unscrewing it.
2. I decided to give the chair a little splash of paint, so I scuffed it up a bit using fine-grit sandpaper. Then, I taped off any areas that I didn't want painted. I always use this tape when painting.
3. As always, I used my favorite metallic gold spray paint from Rustoleum and for easy application I used this comfort grip spray accessory. I applied two light coats to prevent dripping.
4. While waiting for the paint to dry, I removed the old fabric and then began covering the seat cushion by turning the seat upside down on the non-printed side of my fabric.
*Tip: When using a striped fabric like I did, be sure that your stripes are straight by lining up like points on either side of your seat. It was easiest for me to match the points of each corner.
5. We stapled the fabric to the underside of the seat using a nail gun.
*Tip: It's important to pull the fabric so that its smooth and tight, but make sure stripes stay straight.
6. After the whole seat was covered and the fabric was secure, I cut off the excess fabric for a cleaner look.
7. Once the paint dried, we began covering the arms of the chair. We secured the fabric by stapling it. To make sure that the trim would cover up the staples, I tried to keep the staples as close to the wood as possible and in a straight line.
8. To remove the excess fabric, we used an extra sharp razor blade cutting off the fabric where it met the wood of the chair.
9. I wasn't able to get a picture of the next step because we both had our hands full. But, to hide the staples securing the fabric on the arms, we attached this decorative black trim using a hot glue gun. While we applied the hot glue to the arms, we left the seat cushion off in case the glue dripped.
10. Finally, we hot glued the same trim around the base of the seat cushion and then screwed it back to the chair.
There ya have it. One more thing crossed off the bedroom refresh list. I only have a few more things to do and I'm hoping to get the reveal on the blog sometime next week!